Two-way tie for the division or wildcard
- A one game tie-breaker is played between the two teams, winner take all.
Two-way tie between division winners
- The team with the best record in head to head play.
- The team with the best overall record in intra-division games.
- The team with the best record in the final 81 games of the season, ignoring inter-league play.
- The team with the best record in the final 82 games of the season, extending backward until the tie is broken.
Three-way tie for the division or wildcard
- The team with the best intra-division record is determined as Team C. If intra-division records are tied, refer to above tie-breakers to determine team C.
- The other two teams, A and B, play one game.
- The winner of this game plays team C in one game.
- The winner of this second game is the winner of the tie-breaker.
Tiebreaking prodecures from MLB.com